Our Baguio Trip 2016

Last April 29, we (hubby, Justin and I) went to Baguio with my niece and nephew, Justin’s older cousins. This was actually hubby and me’s third time to visit the City of Pines, our son’s second time, and my niece and nephew’s first time. To make the most of our Baguio trip, I searched for a Baguio itinerary online that we meant to follow to the letter but failed to do so because of the uncooperative weather. It rained mostly in the afternoons on the days that we were there. Sigh! We stayed in a Quadruple Room at Manhattan Suites for 4 days and 3 nights. Here are the highlights of our trip.

Day 1
We arrived early (around 5:00 a.m.) in Baguio on April 29, so we had to pay Manhattan Suites an extra Php1,000 for our early check-in. We slept for a few hours, transferred to our reserved room near noon time and went out of the hotel to wander about.

photo DSCN4650_zpswimdf7yr.jpg

Our first stop after having lunch at a fastfood nearby was Burnham Park where the cousins spent an hour biking…

photo DSCN4651_zpsamhvwwtf.jpg

…eating strawberry ice cream…

photo DSCN4654_zpsqyckcwhc.jpg

…boat riding…

photo DSCN4659_zpsb5mmihmh.jpg

…and having our pictures taken wearing the traditional Igorot costume.

photo DSCN4670_zpsuk9epx4a.jpg

Then, we went to Baguio Cathedral before calling it a day.

Day 2
After having breakfast at the hotel, we were ready to explore Baguio once again.

photo DSCN4677_zpsbz4oslxl.jpg

We first went to Mines View Park.

photo DSCN4682_zps317kgmgv.jpg

Then, we headed to Good Shepherd Baguio to buy a few bottles of their well-loved ube jam.

photo DSCN4683_zps7h2yipqv.jpg

Justin and Kuya Ron then went horseback riding at Wright Park.

photo DSCN4687_zpsvpqnw4k3.jpg

Then, we dropped by The Mansion, had lunch at Camp John Hay

photo DSCN4695_zpsvkyh4wk4.jpg

…and braved the road less travelled, the Eco Trail.

photo DSCN4700_zpsjt9gxrdd.jpg

It was tough, but we all made it out alive before heavy rains fell.

Day 3
On our 3rd day, we already commissioned a taxi driver we met the day before to tour us around Baguio. It’s hard to get a cab in Baguio these days, and this was our best option to see more of the beauty of this place.

photo DSCN4705_zps7ow5u9aa.jpg

First, we climbed the 252 steps leading to the Lourdes Grotto.

photo DSCN4709_zpsmojzglfn.jpg

Then we went to Asin Tunnels in Abra, Benguet. These tunnels were constructed by the prisoners of war during the Spanish colonization of the Philippines. They were supposed to form part of the railroad system that was to connect the existing railroad in Damortis, La Union and Baguio City.

photo DSCN4715_zps4gmlndq0.jpg

We also got to cross the hanging bridge of Asin River.

photo DSCN4729_zpsdndpl1vy.jpg

Then we headed to BenCab Museum. The BenCab Museum displays the art collection of our national artist Ben Cabrera.

photo DSCN4754_zpsrp8dmqxs.jpg

There is a lovely garden in front of the museum that was perfect for souvenir shots.

photo DSCN4763_zpsjmwsvj5i.jpg
 photo DSCN4767_zpsrbk0q6f4.jpg

We also passed by Tam-Awan Village and Arko ni Apo Art Gallery.

photo DSCN4773_zpswy6qtxnr.jpg

And of course, our Baguio trip wouldn’t be complete without strawberry picking at La Trinidad, Benguet. Our shoes were all muddy because it rained the night before we went to Strawberry Farm, but nobody seemed to mind.

Day 4
Our last day in Baguio was spent packing our stuff and getting ready for our 1:00 p.m. trip back to Manila.

photo DSCN4632_zpsgsya4tj0.jpg

Overall, our 2016 trip to Baguio was tiring but fun, especially for the cousins who got to spend quality time together before school starts again this month.

signature
This entry was posted in Apo Art Gallery, Asin Tunnels, Baguio, Baguio Cathedral, Baguio Trip, BenCab Museum, Burnham Park, Camp John Hay, Eco Trail, Good Shepherd Baguio, Hanging Bridge of Asin River, Lourdes Grotto, Manhattan Suites, Mines View Park, Strawberry Farm, Strawberry Picking, Summer, Summer 2016, Summer Vacation, Tam-Awan Village, The Mansion, Wright Park. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Our Baguio Trip 2016

1. tina perez says:

visited Baguio with the kids in 2012. from your post, we missed two — asin tunnel and the grotto. we will visit both when we come back 🙂

2. Michi says:

I’ve visited Baguio several times but I haven’t experienced strawberry picking, laging wrong timing ang punta namin. 🙁 I do hope on our next visit, pwede na. First time to read about Asin Tunnels.

3. Nicole P says:

It’s my first time to read about Asin Tunnels, and I definitely have to put it in my itenerary the next time I come back up there.. :3 Did you get your portraits drawn at Tam Awan? 🙂 There’s also this awesome foodie/art area around session road, Ililik-Art Artist Village.. They only serve organic food there, and the whole place is one big art! You should visit that too sometime… I have it written in my blog- http://nicolepaler.wordpress.com 🙂

4. What a beautiful family trip. It’s been a decade since I last set foot in Baguio, I would love for my kids to visit there too.

5. Nova says:

I see a wonderful family trip in a colder place. Nice to see those pictures and hopefully to see them myself in sometime.

6. Edel says:

We visit Baguio about 2-3x a year except that we haven’t gone North this year (yet). Hopefully soon since I heard from my friends there that the weather is really cooler as compared during the summer months. Not to mention less traffic.

7. Elizabeth O. says:

So much activities! You’ve managed to maximize your time there, without a doubt. I’m sure it was one of the best birthdays your son has ever had, it’s awesome.

8. Eve says:

I’ve been to Baguio twice and yet there are still other places to visit. I would love to go to Asin Tunnel and Ben Cab Museum. I need to have it on my list for our next Baguio trip. Thanks for sharing Mommy Tetcha.

9. My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Baguio last Jan 2013. Tapos our next visit was with our son in 2015. Who knows, baka next visit namin, 2 na anak namin. haha.

10. Maan says:

What’s not to love about Baguio! My favourite “tourist spot” is the strawberry fields. Were you able to try the strawberry ice cream sold just outside the farm? Sarap!

• Liz A says:

Hi Maan. I’m from Baguio and the strawberry fields is actually not part of Baguio. 🙂 This is located in the municipality of La Trinidad, Benguet. 🙂

11. Been to Baguio on several occasions but never tries boat riding. Sis, I love that photo where the group wears the traditional Igorot costume.

12. Liz A says:

Good to hear you enjoyed your Baguio trip 🙂

I am from Baguio (now working in Manila) and I go home every now and then. If you have longer time the next time you go there, you might want to try the Asin hot springs, too. 🙂 Or climb Mt. Cabuyao (where the two big radars, often joked as Baguio’s “two large electric fans” when I was a kid) for a great view. 🙂

By the way, the Asin Tunnels is not in Abra, Benguet. It’s in Tuba, Benguet. Abra is another province of Cordillera which is located up north 🙂

13. May Palacpac says:

I want to go to Bencab museum! Bagiuo is one of the places we want to take the kids to. It’s been a long time since I’ve visited these spots, it’s great to read them here. I’ve not even gone to some of them like the Asin bridge and Tam Awan.

14. Berlin says:

Been to Baguio several times and still I want to go back. Aside from the cold weather, its the food that I like best when in Baguio. Seems youve enjoyed your stay. Still yet to try Manhattan Suites.

15. I’ve been to Baguio a couple of times but haven’t been to a lot of those places. It’s so nice to be wearing Igorot costumes! They’re so native and truly worth posing in. I hope to be able to go back there with the kids. I just don’t like the long and windy trip.

16. Denice says:

We have never been to Baguio but we do plan to visit this year or early next year. Super helpful your post to help me plan out our itinerary!

17. Arlene says:

I only visited Baguio ONCE in my life! That’s a sad story I know. I can’t really relate when people starts talking to me about the before and after of Baguio. But I enjoyed the place last time I visited, mainly because of the weather and the food. 🙂

18. Louisa says:

We’d love to visit Baguio again. There’s so much more to see this time around and this time we’ll have our youngest with us.

19. Neri Ann says:

One of the places that I really want to go to together with the whole family! Looks like the kids have so much fun!

20. Pingback: Good Taste Restaurant in Baguio City | Delight My Appetite

21. Wow ang dami pala makita sa Baguio. My kids have only been to Burnham and Mines View so far!

22. Mommy Anna says:

We are always in Baguio but we never been to Asin Tunnels and hanging bridge, san siya malapit

23. Mommy Levy says:

Ang daming tao. It’s been a decade na ata since I last visited this place.