Robinsons Supermarket (Robinsons Galleria) Goes Green!

I’ve been shopping for our groceries at Robinsons Supermarket in Robinsons Galleria for four years now, and in those four years, my groceries were always placed in plastic bags. Well, not anymore. My groceries are now neatly packed in cardboard boxes.

Three Saturdays ago, while doing my weekly grocery shopping, I spotted this sign near the cashier.

Well, there are typo errors here. The Quezon City ordinances that should have been posted at the sign are SP-2103, S-2011 and SP-2140, S-2012. SP-2140 is known as the “QC Plastic Bag Reduction Ordinance”; it regulates the use of plastic bags in Quezon City. SP-2103, on the other hand, regulates the use of plastic bags in business establishments operating in Quezon City.

Under SP-2140, customers are encouraged to bring their own recyclable/reusable bags while shopping or to bring an old plastic bag that business establishments will replace with a new one. Those who will not bring recyclable/reusable bags or old plastic bags will be charged Php2.00 for each new plastic bag. Under SP-2103, business establishments in Quezon City who are using plastic bags in their business transactions should conspicuously display this notice: “Save the Environment, Bring Your Own Recyclable/Reusable Bags.”

At Robinsons Supermarket in Robinsons Galleria, you now have a choice if you want to use plastic bags, eco bags, paper bags or cardboard boxes for your groceries. Eco bags are available at the cashier for less than Php100.00.

This entry was posted in Green Shopping, Robinsons Galleria, Robinsons Supermarket. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Robinsons Supermarket (Robinsons Galleria) Goes Green!

1. I think establishments should also stop selling plastic bags for P2… this will really motivate people to bring their own reusable bag because if not they just pay and it’s plastic bags all over the city all over again.

2. jane says:

oh yeah this is a cool way to save mother nature!. Last year i went back in philippines as well and I brought my mom a couple of grocery trolley that you can fold the singapore people used to go marketing. No need for plastics. Just bring your folded trolley and unfold it when your at the market! xx

3. Lizzie says:

It’s really about time we get a little environment-conscious. Kudos to our government for finally having this implemented (I haven’t been living in the Philippines for more than 9 years and I have absolutely no clue when this QC ordinance was passed. Sorry.) I prefer eco bags because cardboard boxes take up a lot of space. 🙂

4. Ane says:

Ever since the supermarket we go to encouraged shoppers to use their own recyclable bags, I’ve done so myself. I don’t use plastic when I can help it. Sometimes even if I don’t have my shopping bag with me, I refuse to have the stuff I bought stuffed in plastic bags and just put them in my hand bag. I like to save Mother Earth for my children. 🙂

I really think it would be beneficial for everyone if everyone completely boycotts the use of plastics, maybe someday soon, using plastic bags will be illegal. 😛

5. here in santa rosa, we haven’t been using plastic bags for the past year (i think), you have to either bring your own bag or use boxes or paper bags.

6. I think the reusable bags are great that they are now enforced into a law. But please, let us not use paperbags. They are worse than plastic 🙁

7. peachkins says:

This is a good move of Robinson’s Galleria. It’s about time they try to do their share to the environment.

8. Les says:

great news, I think everyone is their part in saving the environment.

9. Pinay Mama says:

It’s really nice to see that establishments are also into saving mother nature. If we only lessen the use of plastic bags then we are on our way to a cleaner and greener future. We have to take care of our environment so that our kids can use it in the future.

10. Tina says:

Thats a good move! Here in Bacoor City, plastic and styro are prohibited too. 🙂 Hopefully, this move will also be implemented in the whole Philippines. Go Green na tayo!

11. Zoan says:

I am trying my best to avoid using plastic bags whenever i shop because i know that in my own little way i have helped saving mother earth. It is good that towns and cities are having/making ordinances to “go green” in shopping;)

12. nuts says:

I am not in favor of totally banning plastic but I am against selling plastic bag in supermarket because it doesn’t really matter to those who don’t know how to recycle. Contradicting ang statement ko, what I mean is, dapat lahat ma educate pano mag recycle and how to properly dispose the garbage and segregate.

13. jem alvarado says:

I Love the Quezon City Ordinance and other cities to go green 🙂 .. I just hope that Caloocan City will also be in strict compliance to have this ordinance – Poor Caloocan government 🙁

14. Jennie says:

I love that establishments are actually taking this seriously. Carrying paper bags can be very inconvenient, yes. But it is the little sacrifice that will extend mother earth’s life for the benefit of our children’s children.