Mommy Moments: Nutrition Tips

I’m not an expert on this, but this is what we practice at home. First, even though my son has become a picky eater, we don’t allow him not to finish his meals at home. He simply has to eat whatever it was that we prepared for him. Sometimes, he would make an excuse that his tummy is already full when all he really wants is to choose a snack from his green food bin where all of his baon in school are kept. In cases like this, I usually tell him to finish his food first before we give in to his request.

Also, because we go to the mall on weekends, eating out is one of our regular family bonding activities. However, what we eat the rest of the week are home-cooked dishes prepared by yours truly. I do my grocery shopping every Saturday, and I make sure I have meat, chicken, seafood (usually more of this in my shopping cart) and vegetables. I also make sure I buy lean cuts of pork and beef because they’re healthier. I’m always on the lookout for healthy snacks for my family, too, like cassava chips.

These cassava chips are gluten-free, have no MSG added, they are not genetically modified and they are rich in fiber. My son likes to dip these cassava chips in ketchup.

Likewise, I seldom buy chocolates for the little boy. The only time we have chocolates at home is when somebody gives us chocolates. Even then, my son will not have the entire chocolate bar for himself. I remember in February 2010, Mr. Fu gave my son a Toblerone bar that he was so excited to eat. Well, that chocolate lasted for several days.

My son was holding the Toblerone bar that Mr. Fu gave him, which lasted for several days.

Before, my son would have chips or cookies in school. Now, I’m glad that he prefers sandwiches for his snack in school, together with his yogurt drink. My dilemma right now is that my son doesn’t eat breakfast at home. He would simply drink a glass of milk or sometimes Milo or Ovaltine in the morning before he goes to school. Do you have the same problem, mommies? How do you make your kids eat breakfast before they go to school?

Click the badge above to see more nutrition tips.

This entry was posted in Mommy Moments, Nutrition, Nutrition Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Mommy Moments: Nutrition Tips

1. Shydub says:

awww super bait ni Justin at nagtalaga pa talaga ng ilang araw ang toblerone ha hehe mga anak ko masisiba sa chocolate

My son is a very picky eater too ate but I always win hahaha… Di pupwedeng di sya kumain… Justin sounds like EJ minsan he uses excuses too lol.

3. anne says:

Waahhh Faith could eat chocolates in seconds hehehe. Yeah you are right veggies are really important not only for kids but for us adults as well.

4. Rcel says:

I think most kids are picky eater talaga. I am just glad that I get to force my daughter into eating vegetables kasi those are usually what I serve on our table. 🙂

Visiting for MM with my share I TALK HEALTH! Hope to see you at mine and have a great weekend!

5. Mirage says:

Looking at the photo, he seem familiar and he is, he’s my senior back in college, Jeff Espiritu, our college’s Student President (UST AB). ahihihi, aliw nga sya, in person and now ko lang nalaman what he’s into sa post mo na to 😀

Anyway, you’re doing a great discipline, like you I make my kids finish their food but it’s different with the training here, in the kindergarten, when kids don’t like to eat then they shouldn’t—the kids could get confused!

6. Mom-Friday says:

Galing ni Justin! My boy can take sandwiches to school but the girl still prefers her sweet cookies 🙁

7. Abby says:

This is I think is the best way of disciplining our child when it comes to food. Usually, at a young age they are very much picky, but with proper discipline, they can be able to have the right nutrition that they can gain from eating nutritional food.

8. kikamz says:

hi mommy tetcha! glad to know that justin now prefers sandwiches over sweets. i guess kids preferences change as they grow older… same here sa haus, we make sure she finishes her meal too. but she eats very well with other kids. mas magana kumain kumain si sam sa kindergarten, except na lang pag vegetable salad ang nakaserve. 😀

great job mommy! 😀 i admire you for being able to teach justin how to eat nutritious food! 😀