Mommy Moments: Preggy Tales

I’m reposting here the article I wrote in September 22, 2008 entitled “The Story of My Pregnancy.” It took nine years for me to get pregnant. That’s because I had a medical condition known as pituitary macroadenoma; I had tumor in the pituitary gland, which couldn’t be treated anymore with medication. That tumor suppressed my fertility and prevented me from having a baby. I hope that childless couples out there won’t lose hope of having a child of their own someday. Miracles do happen, so always believe.

How I knew I was pregnant
A day or two days before All Saint’s Day of 2005, my husband and I went to Makati Medical Center’s Emergency Room because I was experiencing an unusually heavy feeling on the left lower (or was it the right?) abdominal area. My blood tests showed nothing unusual, so we went home after I was seen by a resident. I then realized I was supposed to have my monthly period days before. I then bought a pregnancy test kit, which confirmed my suspicion. After nine years of being married, I was finally able to conceive.

How I felt upon learning that I was pregnant
The truth is I was afraid. I had a medical condition known as “pituitary adenoma,” a tumor in the pituitary gland for which I had an operation in January of 2004. Not everything was removed, though, so I had to take medication for it that my neurosurgeon said could be a lifetime thing for me. Getting pregnant means I would have to stop the medication and risk the chance of the tumor getting bigger. I couldn’t stand the thought of having another surgery, not if I could help it.

What I did to allay my fears about my pregnancy
I prayed hard and asked others to pray for me. After my surgery, a former officemate and friend gave me an Our Lady of Guadalupe prayer pamphlet. There was a 9-day novena and apostleship to Our Lady of Guadalupe that I recited repeatedly during the entire nine months that I was pregnant. I also prayed the novena to St. Raymund Nonato, the patron saint for expectant mothers. That one was given by a friend and officemate of my husband.

Prior to getting pregnant, I happened to have been seen by a female doctor at Clinica Manila in Megamall because I needed therapy for my fingers. My medical condition came up in the course of our conversation. She said she’s going to pray for me and that she’d give me prayer cards to help me deal with the situation. She said I could come back for those prayer cards the next day, as she didn’t have copies of them anymore in her bag. She did left a note for me when I came back that I still keep to this day. One of the prayer cards called for the intercession of St. Josemaria Escriva, the founder of Opus Dei. I said that prayer everyday and requested for a safe delivery and for good health for both me and my baby. The doctor’s name was Dra. Calderon. I tried to go back to her clinic, but Clinica Manila moved to a different office, so I wasn’t able to personally thank her.

What my experiences were like being pregnant
I was one of the lucky ones who never experienced nausea and dizziness. Every day was like a normal day, except that I slept a lot and ate a lot. I was also able to work until two weeks before I was due to give birth.

The downsides: There was a time when I actually had to use the stairs all the way to the 9th floor of the building where I worked because the elevators were being fixed, and to think the stairways reeked of paint at that time. I also had bleeding on my 6th month, which scared the wits out of me. The saddest part was I was ugly, my nose was big, I had zits, and my neck and everything else darkened. I actually didn’t keep a picture of me when I was pregnant. Plus, there’s the pain of birth-giving. I delivered via a caesarean section under general anesthesia. Although Justin was quite small, 5.6 lbs only, I could not give birth to him the normal way because I had a previous head surgery. The act of pushing out the baby could put some pressure on my head and could lead to complications.

The greatest reward of becoming a mother
Having a baby that gives our (my and my husband’s) lives meaning and purpose. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. I am truly blessed to be a mother!

This entry was posted in Mommy Moments, Pregnancy. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Mommy Moments: Preggy Tales

1. burn says:

I love the way you wrote it. Yes, your right prayer is the best weapon to keep us safe during our journey of pregnancy. We are in the same boat, I also gave birth via CS. My baby was also small, 4.14 only..

Slogged Over Leisure
    Mapeh Org

2. Mommy Marlyn says:

When God is going to do something wonderful, He begins it with difficulty; If it’s going to be something very wonderful, He begins with impossibility..

Happy Mother’s Day!

3. this is truly an amazing story. A story of a miracle only God can make possible 🙂

4. January says:

what an experience.. Thank God everything went well..

Hope you can come and visit my MM: Preggy Tale too.

5. Cecile says:

wow, i didn’t know that Justin is a miracle baby, too! I agree…after all the hardships and trials……our little one is what matter’s most!

God is great talaga ate ano.. look at Justin now.

7. Bette says:

oh … that’s an inspiring story … your son is a blessing 🙂

Happy mother’s day!

Here’s my preggytale

8. Stef says:

You’ve been blessed after waiting patiently. GOD is really good. Here’s my MM . Hope you can also join Messy Go Round . Thanks and see you around.Happy Mother’s day!

9. genefaith says:

what an inspiring story you had sis Tetcha…God is good talaga!!! Justin is a miracle baby:)

10. MaiThreeBoyz says:

this is truly an inspiring story, tetcha. especially to those who are waiting to be pregnant for a long time. you’re right, they shouldn’t lose hope. motherhood is a blessing and a gift, and when it comes it is worth all the wait.

i don’t have a post yet. can’t stay online for long due to eye problems. just a peek here and there, stolen moments, hehe. I’ll be back next week though. Sis, btw, sorry but one of your comments in my site was accidentally deleted when i deactivated my commentluv. sorry for that. hope you can forgive me, peace.

And lastly, Happy Mother’s Day! And again, thanks for sharing your wonderful story.

11. I was literally crying while reading your post. Very, very touching and humbling. God is really a faithful god and prayers can move mountain – this is another proof of that. I’m so glad you dropped by my site. I am now a follower.

I’d really love it if you can follow back. I’ll be a frequenter on your site from now on 🙂

12. bingkaycoy says:

Your patience and faith are rewarded. And now you’re blessed to have an adorable son.
    I tried conceiving too but I think having children is not God’s plan for me. I know there are a lot of beautiful blessings await me . I’m actually very blessed—my blessings just don’t include children of my own.
    Happy mother’s day !

13. wickedlysexy says:

i know how you feel while waiting for that kid.. i have one kid and wishes to have another one and we’ve been trying to conceive for almost 5 yrs now but success seems to be so far. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which makes it hard for me to conceive..Good thing that God gave me one shot at being a Mom and mind you without any medications. I have always believe that kids are always born at the right time and to the right mom…

hope you can also take a look at My Preggy Tales

14. laikka says:

ay tetcha..naiyak ako! so happy for you… yah nothing really is impossibleif you believe! happy mother’s day! my MM is up too!

15. Cookie says:

mommy, i read your post word for word and I was so touched. In prayer, nothing is impossible talaga. Glad you and and baby were safe. I salute you for being strong, too.

16. kimmy says:

you are so BLESSED.. i can imagine how it had been for you, finally having a baby after a long time, feeling so happy and scared at the same time. me too, i was SO UGLY, i looked like a ripe tomato ready to burst any time, lol!

a visit from Kimmy!

17. Pinx says:

God is a God of miracles. He does things that we can never fathom! Your son is truly a blessing from Him and you are blessed too to be his mother! Happy Mother’s Day!

18. jeng says:

Miracles do happen and God is really good to your and your family. I also prayed to St. Raymund Nonato when I was pregnant. Thanks for the MM visit!

19. Mom-Friday says:

You really have a beautiful story with your pregnancy Tetcha! It’s truly a blessing that was really meant to be, in God’s time.
    And I still want to see a photo of when you were pregnant! I was so pangit with my first, but thankfully, I looked pleasing to eyes with my second, kaya yun lang ang photo na na-post ko sa blog! Hahaha…. :)))

20. Shydubs says:

Getting preggers is the most exciting and unforgettable experience ever right.

21. redamethyst says:

what a touching story. you just have to believe in God and he will do everything.

thanks for sharing your miraculous story with us.. it is truly inspiring! 😀