It has been customary for others to list new goals at the beginning of each year, hence, the term New Year’s resolutions. In my case, I don’t usually list down my goals for the new year (except in 2007 in this blog), but instead I make a mental note of what I hope to accomplish each year. That’s exactly the reason why I don’t fulfil most of my New Year’s resolutions because I tend to forget them as the months go by. But because this week’s Mommy Moments’ theme requires us to list our goals for this year, I have no other option but to oblige. Here are my 2011 goals.
1. I vow to start saving part of my monthly earnings this year. The family crisis we had last year was a real eyeopener. It made us realize the value of having emergency fund because we wouldn’t know when we would need it. My mother underwent quadruple bypass surgery at the Philippine Heart Center last June 9, 2010, and my husband had to take out a big loan from his office to help finance the surgery. Now, my younger sister and I are paying for that loan with interest. It is also worth mentioning here that without the help of friends from Harversters Christian Fellowship, Nanay’s operation would not have been performed. We owe these people big time! Lesson learned: Save for a rainy day, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do this year.
2. I promise to manage my time effectively at work this year to spend more time and energy with the things that really matter. The last quarter of 2010 had been very busy for me. Before, my work ends at 5pm, but because I have been given more responsibilities at work last year, I’m still in front of my laptop at 7pm, even extending to 8pm or 9pm at times. This has significantly reduced the time I spend with my son. This has also affected my social life. I have so little time catching up with family members and friends.
3. I pledge to pamper myself more this year. I said this already in 2007, but I never really achieved this goal because there are just too many expenses in our household, not to mention that I’m also giving part of my salary to my parents for their medications, that there’s little to nothing left for me when I receive my salary every payday. I will make it a point to buy something for myself each month or do something for myself each month. It doesn’t need to be expensive for as long as I feel I’m getting something from what I’m earning. I should love myself more so I can give more love to others, right? This will also stop me from being grouchy most of the time. LOL!
4. I swear to take better care of my health this 2011. I’ll be turning 39 on my birthday, and my son will only be 5 years old in July, so I need to be healthy to be able to care of my one and only child. I will not miss any medical appointments and I will make sure I will have the required procedures done as instructed. This month, I’ll have my second shot of Cervarix (anti-cervical cancer vaccine). In February, I’ll have my lipid profile checked again; I just need time to flush out all the bad cholesterol I ingested during the holidays. LOL! I will also be having my annual MRI of the head in March, and before the year ends, I’ll have my mammography done, too.
5. I will strengthen my prayer life and spiritual life this year. While this is the most important thing that I need to help me accomplish all the things I need to do every single day, I’m ashamed to admit that this is the most neglected area of my life. I’m a novice here, and I need all the help I can get. I’ll start by going regularly to church and reading the Bible.
Sorry for my long post, folks! I just got carried away! LOL! If I may add, good luck to all those whose main goal this year is to find tech jobs. May we all accomplish our goals in 2011!
Click the badge above to see more Mommy Moments’ entries.