Last Saturday, all three of us (hubby, Justin, and me) went to Hotel H2O, Lo-ok Room (that’s inside Manila Ocean Park), Luneta, Manila to attend Eye Am Smart, a brain-vision learning experience for parents and their children aged over 3 years. The event was sponsored by Gain School Advance with the support of Mommy Academy.
Mr. Bert Valenzuela gave a talk on Vision and Brain Development in Children. Here are some things I learned from him:
– Visual and auditory senses are the first to be developed in children.
– 80% of what your child learns is acquired through vision.
– Bad eyesight can affect brain and other types of development in children.
There are also things we can do to help in our children’s brain-vision development, namely:
1. Create a learning environment at home.
2. Encourage kids to engage in educational activities and games.
3. Make communication a priority; read, play and sing to them.
4. Develop and hone other skills.
5. Get children to sleep for at least 10 hours.
6. Give children proper nutrition.
According to him, PROPER NUTRITION = Good Eyesight and Optimum Brain Development. We should avoid giving our children foods high in sugar, trans-fat, MSG and food coloring. We should give them instead fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, grains and milk. Gain School Advance is high in taurine (for vision development), choline (for memory development), and DHA, vitamins and zinc (for brain development).
Aside from the informative talk, there were also games for moms and kids and a puppet and magic show by Zam. Gain’s mascot, Rosco, was also present to entertain the kids.