Mommy Moments: Motherhood

We’re supposed to share in this week’s theme what motherhood means to us. Honestly, I never imagined myself becoming a mother because I thought I was fated to become a spinster. But much to my and everybody else’s amazement, I got married at the tender age of 24. That’s because I thought I had nothing better to do with my life at that time than be a wife.

We didn’t have children right away because I had hormonal imbalance, which was later discovered to be caused by a tumor in my pituitary gland. This pituitary growth suppressed my fertility. When part of that tumor was removed in 2004 and the rest was treated by medication, everything went back to normal, and I got pregnant in 2005.

We never thought we’d have a baby, and when we finally had one, I wasn’t sure how to go about being a mom. I was totally unprepared for it. Being a mother was painful (I delivered via cesarean section), it was tiring at its initial stages (it still is!), but it’s also the most fulfilling experience I’ve ever had. So if you’re going to ask me what motherhood means to me, I would sum it all up in two words: sacrifice and reward.

Motherhood is the ultimate sacrifice. Because you’re the child’s mom, you’re expected to do all of these things: give your baby a bath, feed him, care for him, take him to his pediatrician for his vaccinations or when he is sick, attend to his school activities, etc. You’re not excused from performing these motherly duties even if you’re also working. You now have to put your baby’s needs first before your own because he is totally dependent on you.

Motherhood is life’s greatest reward. Motherhood is God’s special gift. Not every woman is meant to become a mother, though, and I consider myself fortunate that God has made me one. I earnestly await my son’s hugs, kisses, and his whispers (or shouts) of I love you every day, and I now look forward to a lot of things that we will do together as a family. Motherhood has made my life more meaningful.

Click on the badge above to see more Mommy Moments’ entries.

This entry was posted in Mommy Moments, Motherhood. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Mommy Moments: Motherhood

1. ♣☆♥Willa♥☆♣ says:

wow! Justine is a miracle baby pala. Pareho tayo, I had CS for both of my boys and I coudn't have it the other way.The labor pain is too much for me to bear.

2. anne says:

Your are right girl, being a mom is indeed a sacrifice but very rewarding, because when our kids would just smile at us no matter how tired we are, it will just slip away mine is up and its here

3. Cecile says:

Tetcha, i know what you mean…c section din ako and with health issue as well, but God has blessed me with son who is our pride and joy…the moment Jake was borne a new me was borne, too…i became a mother.

Laki na ni Justine eh….ang bilis ng panahon, noh?

I agree with you ate, motherhood is life's greatest reward. Kaya nga I gave up my career hehehehe.. Love your entry.

5. Divine says:

I'm glad I had the pain kasi there's too much to gain (hugs & kisses EVERYDAY!)- love it!

beautiful post 🙂 we are all blessed to be moms! 😀

7. jeng says:

Motherhood lets us experience all kinds of emotions, but the greatest of them is the happiness that our children gives us. ; )

8. judys424 says:

Couldn't have said it better.. 🙂 Have a great weekend!

9. Jes says:

hi Tetcha!

Nice post! =0
    actually i forgot to mention nmn na DREAM mo na mging mommy high school palng ako aahha i dreamt of having ababy na =) same age tyu ng mag asawa =)

10. Ellen Joy says:

yup, those words sum everything up. I've gone through the normal delivery with my first and then CS with the twins.. and 1 year lang ang gap.. haha… HIRAP BOTH 🙂 but it is indeed very rewarding. Twice the time I gave birth, nawala yung pain ng delivery process and parang nagfreeze lahat when I heard the doctors yell "baby out" tas nakita ko mga babies ko 🙂

My entry:

11. kimmy says:

couldn't agree more. motherhood is indeed a SACRIFICE yet truthfully REWARDING. yours is a touching story and i'm happy for you. enjoy being a mom!

12. Bambie ♥ says:

Momma Tetch, ang dami nyo rin pala pinagdaanan before your lil angel was born. I'm glad everything is back to normal =) I agree with you about motherhood, it's indeed a sacrifice and yet gives you a great fulfilment =)

Have a nice week ahead

Bliss of Motherhood

13. zoan says:

ohhh.. tama ka, we should thank God for giving us the chance to become a Mother.. kasi nga hindi naman lahat pinagkakalooban nito.. children are gifts…

14. Motherhood is the ultimate juggling act but it seems like you have found your rhythm and are enjoying the best aspects of raising your child. I am so happy for you.