My Battle with Pituitary Tumor: Part 6 (Lessons Learned)

While my experience left me scarred in more ways than one, it has also taught me some valuable lessons that I’d like to share with everyone.

1. Ignorance is not bliss. When I had double vision of my right eye in 1999 and my OB/GYN at that time asked me to go see a neurologist, I did not heed her advice. I was ignorant of the fact that my hormonal imbalance that was being treated with contraceptives and that caused me to have double vision of my right eye had something to do with the brain, particularly the pituitary gland. Had I went to a neurologist then, my pituitary tumor could have been detected early, shrunk with medication, and I would not have to undergo surgery. In short, I have been suffering the consequences of my ignorance that I have no power now to undo. My ignorance could have caused me my life.

2. My family is my greatest source of strength and support. We can never really be prepared for tragedies, such as what happened to me. It pained me to see my parents, my father especially, distraught over what I was going through. I had to show them I was okay, that things were going to be okay. It was that thought that kept me going. I also didn’t want to be a burden to anyone, so I had to try my hardest to live a normal life again.

3. Things happen for a reason. We might not be able to fathom why unfortunate things happen to us. But there is definitely a reason for all of these, and in time, those reasons will be revealed. I used to cry a lot after my surgery because I thought that was the end for me. But God has other plans. Like a child just learning to walk, He lifted me up and led me to where he wanted me to be, which is here, with my husband and my son. I am lucky to have been given a second lease on life, and I meant to enjoy every minute of it.

This entry was posted in Battle, Health, Lessons, Pituitary tumor. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to My Battle with Pituitary Tumor: Part 6 (Lessons Learned)

1. Michelle says:

I’m sorry to hear that this terrible thing happened to you. You sound like an amazingly strong person with an extremely healthy attitude. Glad to hear you are doing better. Second chances are truly a gift. Take care.

2. Jes says:

this is true my dear…everything happened for areason…be strong! have faith! =)
    heres an award for you!

3. Beth says:

Hi Tetch,
    it’s true, we shouldn’t ignore ourselves esp our health. Ako naman I have osteopenia which I’m not sure kung osteoporosis na which is irreversible. I’ll try to go to a ortho doctor soon, mahal kasi ng check ups and fees e. 🙁

4. Paula says:

I just finished reading all part six of your story and it was really touching. Thanks for sharing and I'll keep in mind your story so that I won't ignore symptoms until they're too late.

5. onlinemommy says:

Just like Paula, I've just finished reading all the six part story.

God is truly great! He is the God of the impossible 🙂 Just keep the faith, not to people nor the instruments God may use, but to Him alone 🙂 God bless

6. madhatter says:

I read all six posts, that was one tough and long road to recovery. I know what's it like to be subjected to MRIs, its a scary process but I cannot fathom the difficulty you went through and the uncertainty you felt in those hard times. You are one very strong and courageous Mom! and I pray that you always have the gift of good health, you earned it and deserve it Sis!

7. Mrs. Kolca says:

Oh my! You have a touching story. I had to finish all six parts to be able to understand the whole thing. Now I know, there is truly a miracle if we only believe. Hope the tumor will never appear again. God bless to you and your family.

8. happygirl says:

Sis, I also discovered that I have pituitary adenoma when after almost 2 years after my son was born, I still haven't had menstruation. I just had my 3rd MRI last month and my pituitary's size is smaller now although my prolactin level is still high. I sometimes have shooting, split second but intense headaches that I have asked several doctors but we still don't understand why this happens. You are the first person in our country that I've encountered that have pituitary adenoma like me. Your story is inspiring. Thanks Sis.

9. Tollarne Graham says:

An amazing in-depth description into your journey. Just reading it brings back the memories of my Transsphenoidal Surgery in 2007 and continual issues.
    I look forward to following your journey further.
    You can follow my journey at:

10. Parlodel says:

Great story about your battle with pituitary adenoma.

Sadly I have this too. I had my craniology last Dec., still our neurosurgeons left a part of the tumor. I’m into 2 weeks of taking thyrax and parlodel.

I’m worried about the side effects of my meds. I’m into 2 weeks since starting taking meds. I always wake up after every 2hrs at night, dry mouth, shortness of breath, and anxiety!. Ilost my job. Now I’m doing my jobhunt. I do not disclose my condition since I think it will hinder the possbility of me getting hired. is it ok to disclose this?

I’ll try to visit sister racquel ang Fr.Suarez. It took you 5 years of hardship. I hope i’ll do well too, lifetime na talaga meds natin… If not continued, babalik ang tumor.

• admin says:

Hi, Kiko!

I’m currently taking Euthyrox and Parlodel. I remember I really felt sick before after taking Parlodel at night. I felt nauseated, but probably that was because I had to take 1 1/2 tablet then. These days, I only take half tablet of Parlodel 3 x a week, and I don’t feel anything at all. I suggest you consult with your doctor about the side effects of your medications. Perhaps, s/he could help. It’s been 10 years since my surgery, and though a lot has changed since then, I’m still grateful for another chance to live and for the opportunity to still have a meaningful and productive life despite what happened. Try doing online jobs; they’re not very strict when it comes to an employee’s medical/health condition. Good luck, Kiko!

• Parlodel says:

Thanks Ma’am! Im taking parlodel once a day everynight. I hope my body copes up with the meds. 2 weeks pa before I visit my Endocrinologist.

I’ll try to look for online jobs, but still apply pa din ako ng apply.

• Parlodel says:

Ms. Tetcha,

I’m starting to have pimple-like spots on my face! My mom said that this is because of my medicines. Did you also experience this? I hope it won’t get worse.

My endocrinologist also made me take the thyroid medicine 2x every MWF and once every TThSS. I hope there’s no major side effects.

• admin says:

Hi, there! Sorry for the late reply. I haven’t really experienced the same symptoms that you have with Parlodel and Euthyrox. Usually, my skin breaks out when I’m stressed or when I lack sleep. I suggest you ask your doctor about your concerns. S/he will be the best person to ask.

11. Merdie says:

Hello, i am do have pituitary macroadenoma. For more than 1 year i am taking bromocriptine but unfortunately the tumor sized up. I dont really know if surgery would really help. I consulted already a neuro surgeon in UST. Would you advice me about this? I am glad iwas able to find this blog kasi dito s Philippines d ko alam kng tlgang me nkakaranas ng gnitong sakit. Pleas reply po. Thanks God bless

• admin says:

Hi, Merdie!

You can always seek for a second opinion. That’s what I did, but in my case, I had no choice but to undergo surgery because the tumor was already big when it was discovered, and medicines couldn’t shrink the tumor anymore.

12. Ria C says:

I’m glad you’re all better now. I think we really have to listen to what our “body” is telling us. It can be a tell-tale sign of something we can prevent later on.

I agree with you. God know’s what’s best for us and He has all mastered these in the grand scheme of things. We may not understand it now but in time, the meaning of it all will just present itself and we’ll say… “ahhhh, that’s why.” I believe in the power of prayer and that God is the ultimate healer.

13. papaleng says:

Good to hear y0u’re okay now. I agree that with family members supporting each other, victory against life’s trial is imminent.

14. jo-anne says:

Things happen for a reason – Agree with this 100%.

Sis, please check out this song – Trust His Heart (you may watch it here:

I super love this song especially this part:
    “Our Father knows what’s best for us. His ways are not our own so when your pathway grows dim and you just don’t see him, remember your never alone…

God is too wise to be mistaken. God is too good to be unkind so when you don’t understand, when don’t see his plan, when you can’t trace his hand…

Trust His Heart”

15. Tetcha I did not know you experienced this years ago. I’m glad it is over now and you have bounced back. I admire your strength and positive attitude during those trying times.

I totally agree with what you’ve said above. I listen to my body and consult my doctor if I feel something weird or different. I also cannot over emphasize this thing to my parents who at their age, afraid to voice out if they’re feeling sick or unusual. I would rather that they be “OA” than keep things hidden until things blow out of control.

Take care and so happy for you and your family!

16. Juliana says:

Just like you, I’m also blessed with a new lease on life. And yes, God is the master planner, he is the greatest healer. We may not fully understand everything that’s going on in our lives but sooner than later, the enigma is uncovered.

I’m glad that you’re well now. take care.

17. So sorry to know about your condition but I admire your possitive attitude.

18. Whatever happens in life, keep on fighting and always look at the bright future. It’s not a hindrance but rather, a challenge that you can win all over.. 🙂